Re: Salary -- the other side of the coin

Subject: Re: Salary -- the other side of the coin
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:32:11 -0700

Beth Friedman wrote:

> Is there any reason not to reveal your salary if you are in fact happy with
> what you're making (but would of course, like a bit more)? Lots of people
> I know were making very good money -- until their company went out of
> business because of the dot-com bust. Or they need a new job because
> they're moving. Or there's a new manager the person just can't work with
> and wants to find a new job before one of them kills the other.

I suppose the answer comes down to: what strategic advantage is there in
revealing your salary? If it's already high, then it might put you in a
good position. But I think that a basic tactic in any negotiation is not
to reveal more than you have to. For most people, giving information
becomes a habit. After one detail is revealed, they may quickly babble
more. As a result, they can easily give information to the other side
that can be used against them. So, unless you have a good reason for
mentioning your salary, why do so?

However, as a side-issue, it may be worth mentioning that some dot-com
salaries were inflated, and you may have to take somewhat less to work.

"I saw you, I met you, I had you, I lost you
Lucky I have no disease
I have a habit of taking things lightly
It keeps me off of my knees."
-The Mollys, "Holding On"