RE: HATs for Context-Sensitive Help

Subject: RE: HATs for Context-Sensitive Help
From: "David Demyan" <dbdemyan -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:54:37 -0400

Allison wrote:
>I have read several opinions on HATs on this listserv.
>However, I specifically need one that is user friendly for
>creating context sensitive help for a Windows Application
>and Internet app if it makes a difference). I would like
>o avoid using programmers to do context mapping. I am
>valuating RoboHelp Office 9, ForeHelp 5 and Premier 2001,
>Doc-to-Help 2000 and Professional, and Hypertext Studio Pro.

>I do have a budget, but I do not want to spend money for
>bells and whistles I don't need. (Like Java and Oracle...)

Allison, in the area of creating context sensitive links from the
application to help, I believe they are all about equal. This is
accomplished by entering a context ID on the topic properties
dialog using any of these applications (I believe). And, each
one allows the author to create unique context IDs within the
help, then provide a map file to the developer that contains a
listing of the topics and context IDs.

The other issue you raised is which one is "user friendly"
about it. I use both RoboHelp and ForeHelp and find the context
linking facilities easy to use in both of them.

You do realize you need to have your programmers do some of
the work? They must provide the portion of the program that
calls your help system, based on the file name and context
IDs you provide.

Best wishes,

Dave Demyan
Mendem Concord, Inc.
http://www.mendem.com

Learn about tools and technologies for user assistance developers at