RE: Diplomacy/Templates problem

Subject: RE: Diplomacy/Templates problem
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:19:49 +0100

Coincidentally, I am in a similar position. I have written a series of
tutorials to accompany a series of demos for our product, also aimed at
developers (mostly Java, we expect). I inherited a series of 7 demos, each
explaining one concept or demonstrating one function or feature of the
product. I trashed the simplest one, because it was insultingly simple, and
left the rest as is.

It just seemed logical to me to have a one-to-one (more or less)
relationship between concept/feature and demonstration. Users who say,
didn't require the simpler demos could just skip ahead to the more
complicated ones. Or, alternately, if there were features a user didn't
understand, he could just refer to the demo (the user guide regularly refers
to the pertinent demos). Perhaps the level of sophistication of the concepts
we're explaining differs...that is, two or three of your concepts may be as
manageable as one of mine (That sounds a bit like a playground taunt: Ha,
ha! My concepts are more abstruse than yours!).

If you're interested, you can look at the Beta version of some of these
tutorials at
http://www.capeclear.com/support/manuals/capestudio/userguide/CSTutframe.htm
. They're in the lower half of the TOC. If you happen to be running Netscape
on Linux, they won't display. That's my two cents. Thanks. DB.

<snip>

> Problem... er.. well... Enthusiastically, my manager's
> written 7 examples.
> Count 'em. Seven. One new concept per example.

<snip>