Got XML, content management, single-source???

Subject: Got XML, content management, single-source???
From: "Brooks, Willard" <Willard -dot- Brooks -at- commerceone -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:43:42 -0700

I would like to find out what kinds of information management solutions
people are using out there. Maybe this has already been done (I just joined
the list today). Below is more info.

My Project:
To specify the total requirements for a ***possible*** xml based information
management solution. In other parlance, to build a single source information
management solution that will facilitate multiple authoring tools, multiple
output formats, and distribution to multiple audiences across multiple
organizations for multiple uses. I would prefer not to discuss the use of
tools such as RoboHelp and WebWorks (these tools, while useful, will
probably go by the wayside in the next few years).

Solution Components:
--xml-enabled authoring tools (e.g. Frame+SGML, Word+WorX, xMetal, etc.)
--object oriented data base (e.g.. Poet)
--relational database (e.g. Oracle, MS SQL Server, etc.)
--workflow engine (Tibco, Netscape, etc.)
--content management (Interwoven, Documentum, Poet, etc)
--customer input system (not sure, possibly webby CRM)
--publishing framework (e.g.. Cocoon)
--portal management system (Epicentric, Plumbtree, etc)

Possible Solution Features:
--information reuse
--multiple output formats (pdf, cd, www, pda, paper, wap, etc)
--interoperability with other solutions
--web services
--repurposing engine (e.g.. tech pubs doc to marketing, training doc to tech
pub doc, etc.)
--new XML standard for tech pubs (a DOC Book for XML if that even makes
sense?)

Yes, this is very high-level, even vague. Those who are thinking about such
things will understand. The point is to spark responses.

Questions:
--What did you implement?
--Did you build or buy?
--What were the most effective arguments you used to sell the idea to
management?
--Of these ideas, which were you actually able to deliver on? (e.g. "saved
the company $2M).
--If you built, did you use existing IT folks or did you power up for this
project?
--What kinds of off the shelf components did you use?
--What were the problems you encountered in the implementation process?
--Did you implement a company wide solution or did you start in tech pubs
and expand to other departments?
--How much did it cost?
--How did it change the constitution of the department? (i.e. the
introduction of more geeks)
--How did it change the roles that folks play in the department?
--How much did it save?

Perhaps this has already been proposed? If so, tell me about the results. If
not, how about trying to use the list to come up with a sense for best
practices that are brewing in the industry? I would be willing to
collaborate with interested folks to craft a more systematic questionnaire.

Thanks in Advance,

Willard