Re: Estimating length of content

Subject: Re: Estimating length of content
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:32:55 -0700

Loraine Nazareth wrote:

I'm writing my first Doc Plan, and while I have all the info I need on
estimating time, I'm wondering, how accurate should I be in estimating the
length of the content?

Often, you can't be accurate, so exact figures are misleading and calculating them is a waste of time that could be better spent writing. I suspect that most clients will accept estimates to the nearest page, but in any event I wouldn't go below half a page in an estimate.

You can't usually be exact about how much time each page takes you because usually completion of the docs isn't totally up to you. Generally, you are waiting for developers to finish the product, and for the developers to have time to talk with you. Since you have no authority over the people you depend on, much of the time needed for the job is out of your control.

That's why I usually give time estimates for a project as plus or minus ten percent; I want to make clear that an exact estimate isn't exact, so I don't have to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Don't get me wrong: estimates are a good way to reassure clients that they are dealing with a professional. But you shouldn't give them exaggerated importance or attention.

the figures I come up with when estimating on an entire page seem
highly inflated considering the small portions of content.

Look at it this way: if your estimate is high, then you'll have some extra time to cover any delays. Moreover, if you finish ahead of schedule, you'll look efficient.

If you were a contractor bidding for a job, then you might have some concern about whether you were pricing yourself out of the market, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

"My bonnie moorhen lies over the main,
And it will be summer ere he comes again,
But when he comes back again, some folk can ken,
I'll drink a health to my bonny moorhen."
-Jacobean Song

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: