RE: So, how much IS it worth?

Subject: RE: So, how much IS it worth?
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:26:42 -0400

John Posada wrote:

> I think that the sooner that we and the people doing the hiring move
> away from "What do you know" model, and move to the "What can you do"
> model, the sooner we'll be taken seriously.

The advice I've seen (and followed) on resumes is to list accomplishments
with their benefits/results, rather than just responsibilities/knowledge for
each position. This helps give concrete examples of "what can you do".

For example, instead of "produced user manuals and on-line help using
FrameMaker and WebWorks Publisher," you might have "initiated
single-sourcing of printed manuals and on-line help, using FrameMaker and
WebWorks Publisher, saving 100 hours per product release." You might
eliminate the product names, especially if they are listed elsewhere, or are
not relevant to the position for which you are applying.

Remember, when applying for a job (salary or contract), you are selling
yourself. And the marketing literature I've seen emphasizes that people
purchase benefits (how you will help them), not features. If your
strongpoint is your knowledge, then explain how it will benefit the
potential employer (either in the resume or covering letter).

- Michele
Michele Marques, Technical Writer
AUTROS Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com <mailto:marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>

This material is intended for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the material to the
intended recipient, you are notified that dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please contact the sender immediately via e-mail and destroy this message
accordingly.