Arial fonts and Polish

Subject: Arial fonts and Polish
From: "Jennifer O Neill" <jennifer -dot- oneill -at- village -dot- uunet -dot- be>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:09:54 +0200

I am going around in circles because of a problem with the fonts Arial and
Arial CE (central european), Word, Pagemaker 6.5 and Acrobat 4.

The translators returned the text to me in Polish in Word 97. It was in
Arial. I then placed the text into Pagemaker. Arial went weird so I changed
the font to Arial CE. All was well on screen. However, when I tried to print
in both hardcopy and pdf the font went weird. So I changed it to Frutiger
CE, the only other CE font I had. All looked weell on screen, on paper and
in pdf. But then I had to move some of the text back to Word. Didn't want to
use Frutiger CE as it's not a standard font in the company so I put the font
in Word back into Arial. All went weird again. Why does Arial work fine in
Word for the translator and our Polish sales office but not for me?

I'm now on my home computer, which has Windows 95 (at work it's Windows NT).
As I don't have Frutiger CE at home, I've changed the font in Pagemaker back
to Arial CE and, low and behold, the pdf I've just created is fine. Why does
Arial CE work fine on my home computer with Acroabt4 and Pagemaker but not
at work?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Jennifer