RE: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: RE: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: "Sean O'Donoghue (EPA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:51:29 +1000

Sounds like a bind.....and whilst I respect Andrew's well balanced
virulence.....(and why can't we be communists!!!)

I suspect a better way:

If the company is usually good by you, you trust the manager and the
strength of the manager to get you the raise in the future - well is it
worthwhile moving?

If the company doesn't seem to know what's it's doing and your manager is
ineffectual - begin looking around.

Don't move till you are confident that where you are going is better. No use
rushing around when you already have a job - even an unsatisfactory one.

I had a job once (okay imagine a cheap "fantasy island" shimmering effect
and old timer style voice) where I completely hated the style of management
and general ethics of the company and also how they were applied to me - and
I gradually let my feelings become obvious (I couldn't manage to hide
them!!). However with a mortgage, and children, I waited, plotted,
planned....and after one of the longest most drawn out job seeking
consultations I have ever had (took nearly six months for this company I
sought to join to decide they wanted me) got my life raft and
left.........oh and the greater than 20% raise helped to dull my pain at
leaving a job I didn't like where I wasn't appreciated.

Such moments are what the challenge of life and work and employment is about
- anyone who did manual driving lessons knows we all grind the gears till we
find the ones that mesh!