Re: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: Re: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 10:06:31 EDT

> And sitting down and working it out doesn't make you some kind of a
> weenie who's being abused.

That's true, that's very true. And admittedly, with the very short description we got, we don't know if it's possible to work things out. Certainly if the company/manager is reasonable, something could be worked out.

But I still stand by my advice to be willing to walk, simply because it has been my my experience that a company that would pull what sounds so much like bait-and-switch is not dealing in good faith. Otherwise, not come back immediately with a counteroffer and explanation? "We can't free up the budget for the raise, but let's talk some benefits" or "we want to see how it works out" instead of simply "you don't get the money." The lack of that, to me, is the key right there that someone is trying to see what they can get away with. What *was* the answer to the all-important question, "Why not?" (Which can be asked in a perfectly reasonable tone of voice.)

>I think, FWIW, that getting hysterical and personal
>about these types of purely business situations is
>*far* more of a "female" thing to do than to let
>employers abuse you. Women do it all the time, I'm
>usually very embarassed for them.

Then you may have the job where they hired me on the understanding that I would be on a contract 15 minutes from my home, only to discover that they did not have nor did they get the contract, but they'd graciously "shift" me to an office 2 hours away. The job I decided to take when assured of vision care, only to discover that their "vision benefit" was a $25 coupon to Hour Eyes. The job that they slowly added org lines and responsibilities to until I finally quit... and they had to hire 3 people *each* making more than I had before they could get the position(s) filled.

I'm not remotely embarassed about leaving any of those situations. There was no need for hysterics, nor were there any. Simply a quiet job hunt, a professional, calm letter of resignation listing my reasons for unhappiness, and very shortly thereafter a much better job with an employer who did not play bait-and-switch or "give more now, maybe get more later" games.

In short, I did not assume the worst and leave because I'm female, I left when it was obvious that they were treating me unfairly and that they intended to continue to do so. I do not automatically assume that every employer is out to shaft me. I do and have compromised on the job *when they deal with me in good faith!*

That's the real question here - does the original poster feel that the company can work things out in good faith or not? If yes, then certainly do so, and find a compromise.

But if the employer starts a pattern of not living up to promises made, then who would WANT to work there?

Nea