RE: Job Description

Subject: RE: Job Description
From: "Roy Jacobsen" <rjacobse -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:09:36 -0500

Some companies use systems such as Radford to map their job descriptions
to "industry standard" position grades, with salary ranges (rather large
ones) pegged to the grades.

(Caveat emptor: I'm not an authority on this. The following description
is based on my rather limited exposure to this in relation to my own
position.) The Radford system is based on data from the companies that
pay them for the right to use their system; the companies provide
detailed information on their positions and the responsibilities, and
Radford aggregates this across industry segments. The resulting grading
system uses very detailed descriptions of responsibilities, rather than
job titles, and mapping your internal positions to the Radford grades is
not for the faint of heart. It does have the advantage of giving the
appearance of order to a company's position descriptions, though.

In any event, I'm not sure I'd put my Radford grade on a resume.

Roy M. Jacobsen
Senior Editor, Documentation
Microsoft Great Plains Business Solutions
One Lonetree Road
Fargo, ND 58104-3911
USA
roy -dot- jacobsen -at- microsoft -dot- com

The right to do something does not mean that doing it is right. --
William Safire

From: Bruce Byfield [mailto:bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com]