advanced education

Subject: advanced education
From: "Stacy Camacho" <scamac01 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:46:25 -0400

Hi all,

I just completed my Master's degree in Technical Writing and I'd like to persue a PhD since I would eventually like to become a professor. Would anyone be able to reccomend a good phd program? Any resources I've looked at, US News and others, all list English Literature programs. Or would it be a good idea to persue the phd in English Literature since it is broader and my offer me more teaching opportunities later on. Also, most English literature programs will not take any course credit from professional or creative writing courses, so it seems that I would be starting from scratch. I do not have a literature background so if I chose this option, what would I have to do in order to gain admissions to an English Literature program? (aside from the obvious take the tests, write the application, etc) Please respond off list. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Stacy

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: