RE: advanced education

Subject: RE: advanced education
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:09:23 -0500

I'm all in favor of higher education, but I also believe that anyone heading
in that direction should do so with both eyes wide open.

I'm skeptical on your view that there are more opportunities as a professor
in English lit. than in tech writing. The money in the private sector is far
too tempting for many would-be tech writing professors, leaving some schools
hurting to find enough good quality faculty. At least that's what I've
observed and heard from my little corner of the world.

At any rate, anyone with aspirations of becoming a professor, especially an
English lit. professor, *needs* to read this page; "Thinking of Pursuing a
PhD in English?" from SIU, Edwardsville (in Illinois)

http://www.siue.edu/ENGLISH/career.html

Congrats on your master's degree, and I wish you luck, whichever path you
may choose.

BTW, to locate schools that offer a PhD in tech writing, check the resources
on the STC site.

http://www.stc.org/academic_database.html

David Berg