Re: Getting what I'm worth

Subject: Re: Getting what I'm worth
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:34:06 -0700 (PDT)

> I accepted a full-time permanent position back in March as a technical
> communicator for a non-profit organization. I settled for a little less
> than what I wanted salary wise with the understanding that at the end of
> my 6 month probationary period I would get an increase. The figure that
> was tossed into the air was slightly above my initial asking salary. My
6
> month review is coming up in September. I want to have a strong case
for
> getting the figure I think I deserve. However, it would mean a 13%
> increase. Is this a pipe dream?

- Are you an invaluable member of the team?
- Are you working hard and going above and beyond the call-o-duty
- Are you willing to walk away from the table and begin looking for a new
job?

If you cannot answer a resounding YES! To all these questions, you're
rapidly approaching Pipe Dreamville.

Getting more $$$ is just like getting a good deal on a car. You have to
make an offer, be willing to dicker, and walk away when the other party
won't budge. You also have to understand the negotiation dynamics. Do you
need them more than they need you? Can you be easily replaced? If so,
your negotiation ability is significantly decreased.

> According to the STC salary survey for 2000, I am in the 10% median
salary
> range for the US. A 13% increase would bring me up to 25% for 4
> categories and up to 50% for one. This seems reasonable to me.
> Especially when the median for my geographic area would still be about
25%
> more than my salary!

Salary surveys are merely good ideas. They are not a rulebook for pay.
Whatever you do, don't quote a salary survey in any evaluation materials.
They won't impress anybody and they could piss off your hiring manager.

> I was told that because it is a non-profit organization, they tend to
pay
> less than the for profit sector.

This is typically the case. Non-profits almost always pay less than
profitable companies.

> Two questions,
> 1. Am I being reasonable?
> 2. How can I ensure I get what I think I'm worth?

1. Maybe. It depends. If you're a valued asset of the team you are
absolutely being reasonable. If you're just showing up at 9am and leaving
at 5pm and cashing your paycheck every week - you're probably being
unreasonable.

2. State what you want. Be clear and don't justify it right away. Let them
counteroffer you. Do not expect them to have your best interests in mind -
they don't. Also, don't ever feel guilty for asking for what you want. The
worse they can say is "no."

Andrew Plato

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/