RE: What is a word attachment?

Subject: RE: What is a word attachment?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:13:00 -0400

This is not a serious post, right? It's a troll, eh?

Like it or not, Microsoft Word, a word processing program, is the most
popular technical writing tool on the planet.

If your resume and a future job is on the line, then there is only one way
to create a Word attachment. Use Microsoft Word. It's less than $200 to buy,
I think. Anything else that exports Word documents, like FrameMaker, will
probably mess up the formatting such that your resume looks like garbage.

However, if you do not know what a Word attachment is, you have bigger
issues than that. Also, it would behoove you to play around with this
remarkably popular tool.

I try to send my resume as a PDF. But, I create my PDFs from Word because so
very many companies want Word attachments. Some companies scan the Word
document for keywords, and cannot do so with PDF. Some companies extract
text form the Word doc and stuff it into a database, or reuse it with
Microsoft Access, and cannot do that with PDF. Some companies have no clue
what PDF is, nor do they care because Word came free with their PCs and,
when they needed it, they just "reallocated copies."

Buy MS Word. As a techwriter, you probably should be at least a tad bit
familiar with this tool.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com