RE: Getting what I'm worth

Subject: RE: Getting what I'm worth
From: Jim_McAward -at- Ademco -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:56:42 -0400

I'll throw in a distilled truth: it's the company's job to pay as little as
possible for your services, while it's your job to get as much as possible
for those same services.

The best information to have is a clear picture of what your skills are
worth to others - salary surveys are a great place to start, but actual
interviews with (and offers from) other companies are best. Mr. Cronin has
it right: it's hard in practice to get a significant increase once you've
accepted employment, unless you can show that the value of your skills are
higher (and that you have a job offer in your hand to back it up). Then,
it's a matter of letting the company decide if it's worth paying you the new
rate.

"Boss, I really like working with you here... I'd certainly like to
continue to work with you, since I like the job and the people and I'm good
at it - but I need to take care of my family, too." It's also time to ask
for other things you may want - such as taking over the corporate Web site
or getting a door on your office, or anything else that is within reason and
reach.

The manager has a problem: he/she needs quality docs and hardworking people
who know the product(s). You're that person... but now it's going to cost
more to have you around. If you're truly worth it to them (and you know you
are!), they'll find a way to help you stay. From personal experience:
avoid promises of future promotions/compensation increases unless they're in
writing.

The hard part: if you don't get what you want from the company, you need to
take the new job.

A caution: DON'T accept the offer from the new company (i.e. sign the paper
and set a start date) and then decline because your current job offered more
money. It's *extremely* bad form, and will (in my case) prevent me from
considering you for any future work.

Best of luck!

Jim

James G. McAward