RE: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer
From: pkingston -at- nomadsoft -dot- co -dot- uk
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:20:30 +0100

Is it just my impression, or do North American Hi-Tech workers seem to
attach a large amount of importance to their job titles?

My experience of working in the UK has been the opposite. I'd be interested
in any comments, offline if appropriate.

Peter Kingston

Technical Author
Nomad Software
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7292 2413
e-mail: pkingston -at- nomadsoft -dot- co -dot- uk

This e-mail (including attachments) is confidential and is
intended solely for the addressee. Unless authorised
you may not read, copy, use or store this e-mail in any way,
or permit others to do so. If you have received it in error,
please contact Nomad Software on +44 (0) 20 7292 2400.

>At what point does an individual earn the title "Senior Technical Writer"?
>What characteristics does a Senior Technical Writer exhibit?

>Is it when you have 5 years technical writing experience?
>Is it when you turn a magic age?
>Is it when you have an MS in Technical Communication or other advanced
degree?
>Is it when you make X a year?
>Is it when your supervisor "Seniorizes" you?
>Is it when you are a strong writer, work well with others as well as
independently, learn fast, work hard, exhibit excellent organizational
skills, etc.?
>Is it when you have worked at a company for X amount of time and that
title
is given to all who stay that long, work hard and exhibit the above listed
characteristics and more?

>How important is the title? Is it more for personal satisfaction or does
it
depend on the company for which you work?

>Thanks,
Ashley