RE: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer
From: Pat Anderson <panders -at- aw -dot- sgi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:56:12 -0400

At 1:18 PM -0400 13/08/01, Brierley, Sean wrote:
>Two things struck me as contradictory:

I disagree. Being a good sycophant will get you about 3 months, tops, and then your probationary period will be up and you'll be out the door. No, you'd better have ability. Management ability -- not just writing ability. To be in management, you need to be able to look at the larger picture -- what is required with this product? What is "nice to have"? Determine what is the minimal acceptable set of deliverables... and, if you can justify it in a business plan, go beyond the minimum. Be prepared and able to fight for what you believe in; if you lose, do so gracefully, because you may need to fight this battle again. Learn from your losses, and become a better manager.

>Responsibility _without_ authority is the result of
>being able and motivated. Claim what? The managerial jobs go to those who
>suck . . . up and demonstrate the skill of saying "yes" to everything but
>otherwise being quite.

No, managerial jobs go to those who have proven that they can create a plan and execute on it. Repeatedly. At least, in my world they do.

>Indeed, isn't part of the path to success the ability
>to publicly blame and chastise somebody for not knowing what you did not
>tell them?

Absolutely not. Public praise; private admonishment (which should be accompanied with a plan for improvement).

>I don't know for certain, but it seems to be a trend to keep the able and
>motivated people underfoot so some actual work can get done, while you
>promote the rest. Of course, maybe I should play the game differently?

I hope you're just having a bad Monday, Sean...

>Cheers,
>
>Sean

And cheers & Monday morning espresso to you!

...pat.

Pat Anderson,
Documentation Manager, Design Products
Alias|Wavefront
tel: (416) 874-8375
email: panders -at- aw -dot- sgi -dot- com
http://www.aliaswavefront.com