Re: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Senior Technical Writer
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:18:33 -0700

Brierley, Sean wrote:

Authority flows from ability. If you can regularly demonstrate the ability
to get work done and keep people motivated, then you can honestly claim a
title of manager or senior.

Maybe at your company, Andrew, but in my experience authority flows from
being a good sycophant.

Sean: I think you're confusing actual authority with titular authority. The two aren't necessarily the same thing. For example, sysadmins have very little titular authority, but, in anything to do with their companies' networks, they have tremendous actual authority.

By contrast, giving people titles won't give them any actual authority if they're widely perceived as idiots; people will show them token respect, then work around them as necessary. It doesn't matter how sycophantic they are to the people above them in the company structure.

Wielding actual authority requires the cooperation and good will - or at least the acquiescence - of subordinates. In other words, the people you manage have to trust you. They don't have to like you, but they do have to know that they can depend on you to do your work and to be consistent in your treatment of them.

I'm not saying that sycophants don't exist or they don't get promoted. If nothing else, it doesn't sound as if you'd believe that (and I don't believe it, either). However, while those who arenothing more than sycophants may very well get promoted, their authority is never more than titular.

"In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge."
-Anthony Jay & Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: