Re: Biggest salary cut you've taken?

Subject: Re: Biggest salary cut you've taken?
From: "K. Joyce McDonald" <KJoyceMcDonald -at- satx -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:37:06 -0500

The biggest cut I ever took was from my last job: $16,000 less than my
asking salary. I took it because the job really sounded fun, I loved the
company, I could telecommute whenever I wanted, and could make my own hours,
and got 5,000 shares of stock options. This was in early '99.

I stayed for 2 1/2 years, survived numerous layoffs and a takeover, lost my
stock options, took on responsibilities of five other people (all laid off),
and listened to dozens of promises. But even with raises and bonuses, I
never came near my asking price, and had very few perks to show for it.
Still I stayed because I liked the people and enjoyed my work. I got laid
off two months ago. They promised to give me a good reference for my next
job. Hope they keep their promise this time.

K. Joyce McDonald
Former Senior Technical Writer