Re: Bold to highlight files and paths?

Subject: Re: Bold to highlight files and paths?
From: "K. Joyce McDonald" <KJoyceMcDonald -at- satx -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:31:29 -0500

I do, especially if mentioning a file name in a paragraph. For paths, I
don't use boldface because my standard was to put the path on a separate
line just before the screen capture. It is important to make a file names
and terminology stand out (with boldfacing, italics, underlining, or quotes)
because the user may misinterpret part of the name or term as part of the
sentence.

One example that I can remember went something like this:

>From the Work Management Entry Menu select Status Change for Phase.

Is the name of the menu item "Status Change for Phase" or is the menu item
"Status Change" and you are supposed to somehow select it for a Phase? If
"Status Change for Phase" is boldfaced, the user knows that it is a menu
item.

K. Joyce McDonald