Re: New Member and Pagination question

Subject: Re: New Member and Pagination question
From: msamuels -at- mindspring -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:50:55 -0400

Many thanks to Al, Curtis, and Donna who answered my question so promptly. I neglected to mention that I am in the process of completely redoing one whole section of the manual and will need to have more copies printed for the new folks in the organization. This is an ideal time to revamp the document control and resolve the pagination problem since I have to reprint the whole thing anyway.

It was Curtis I think who mentioned changing everything to HTML -- this group is heading that way rapidly, but they aren't there yet, darn it. That would be the ideal solution.

The original manual used the "Chapter.Page" format for each section, and that worked very well until the big merger. Donna's suggestion seems to be quite workable for what we have to do. I talked with a friend of mine who gets companies ready for ISO certification, and I thought I'd share what she said about ISO documentation:

They use a master list (which doubles as the Table of Contents) laid out like this:

Procedure number / Procedure Name / Nbr of Pages / Revision Date

If Procedure Number QP-xxx has 5 of 5 pages and changes to 6 of 6 pages, you only have to reprint that one procedure. New procedures follow in numerical order.

This seems similar to Donna's method. I'll see if I can make either of these work.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Molly