RE: Merchants vs. Consumers (was More ethics...)

Subject: RE: Merchants vs. Consumers (was More ethics...)
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:56:26 -0400

Actually, you can get a replacement CD for your crushed FrameMaker one by
calling Adobe and providing a serial number. Also, property damaged in the
car wreck should be covered under comprehensive and collision auto
insurance. If the situation is that you are under-insured, well, that's a
whole nuther but off-topic discussion.

Actually, I think sales are affected by fair use requirements. For example,
I enjoy reading paper-based (traditional) books. I lend them, and carry them
with me on airplanes, on business travel, and by my bedside. I don't
photocopy or scan and distribute these. Not even text or exercise books.

I don't use e-books. The policy of installing only to limited and fixed
locations is not convenient for me. Yes, a laptop is a fixed location . . .
no laptop, no read. (Of course, you can compare not bringing the laptop to
not bringing the traditional printed material, but I offer that a laptop is
heavier, bulkier, and battery powered, thus being less convenient than
paper.) Also, I cannot lend nor receive lent material due to sharing
restrictions. Finally, I need to yearly FDISK and reinstall the OS to keep
my PC up-to-date and thus might lose the book electronically and not be able
to reinstall it . . . this is *not* a limitation of paper.

Therefore, because of all of these inconveniences, e-books do not replace
paper, are not as useful as paper, and I have not bought into the
technology. Thus, no sale.

However, if the creators of this technology permitted the technology to be
used to its full potential, then I would be interested.

My point is that I will not try to crack copyright protections, violate
copyright laws because the laws are inconvenient to me, etc. I will merely
not buy a product that does not fit my needs.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com