RE: FWD: On using pirated software

Subject: RE: FWD: On using pirated software
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:21:11 -0500

> From: Annamaria Profit
> The target of any suit/prosecution would be the principal(s)/officers of
> the company/corporation. Company size is not an issue, but the
> Feds don't
> bother with anything under $25,000. However, a complaint will rouse the
> other legal dawgs. If nothing else motivates them, companies will
> generally avoid the PR trashing because it impacts their ability
> to make a
> profit.

There was an article I skimmed a few weeks ago in eWeek (formerly known as
PC Week) about the letters and ads directed at businesses offering them 30
days to get their software licensing fully compliant. They investigated and
learned that the "30-day amnesty" is just a marketing ploy to get intimidate
people into purchasing software. They have no intention to follow up after
the "30-day amnesty" expires, they just want to cow as many people as
possible into buying more software.

I know that my language is implying a certain view, that I favor unlicensed
software, but I'm relating it to you the way it was expressed in eWeek. They
also said that apparently the letters and ads are working; they've seen a
major increase in office and enterprise software sales in the areas where
they've focused the campaign.

The increase in software sales would indicate that there's quite a few
companies that use unlicensed software. When it comes to an issue like the
one John Posada brought up yesterday, ordering software but installing a
"borrowed" copy until it arrives, I'd imagine they wouldn't worry about
that. I'm guessing here, but my thought is that they'd view it about the
same as someone that drives 56 mph in a 55 zone; technically they're
breaking the law, but it's so minor that no one will harass them for it.
Well, the speeding offense is probably more likely to attract a ticket. I
know people who've been busted in speed traps for 1 mph over. If John could
prove that he'd already ordered and paid for the software, I think even an
overzealous attorney would have a hard time nailing John in court for his
minor software infraction.

I suppose that, at least to that extent, you could say there are shades of
gray (that's "grey" for you folks east of the big puddle). I know there are
many justifications people can lean on for using unlicensed software. But,
if as many people and businesses are willing to cheat on their software as
some sources indicate, then it's easy to see why Microsoft and friends are
so anxious about enforcement and cracking down on pirating.

David Berg