Re: Respect

Subject: Re: Respect
From: "Tom Sullivan" <tsullivan -at- netexpress -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:55:30 -0700

Hey Sean,

I echo your sentiments.

All of my software purchases in the past couple of years have occurred only
after much research into the different producers of the software and the
tools they offer. One of my biggest criteria is the quality and
overall "helpfulness" of their help documentation. Other features and
benefits are considered, but world-class help documents are essential.

Although I don't use HTML authoring software, I helped a friend purchase
FrontPage after talking with users of other applications and viewing help
documentation. He chose FrontPage because of it's excellent help
documentation and the technical support. Another application that we looked
at was on a par level with FP, but the help docs were nowhere near the
quality of Microsoft.

And I can guarantee you that that I have talked about software programs I
have purchased. Those that are well engineered, operate without tons of
problems, and have great help docs get very positive word of mouth
advertising from me. Those that fall short, especially in the help docs
department are ripped apart. I've written many letters, both good and bad,
to big wigs of software companies.

My employer also looks at the quality of help docs when making software
decisions. Ease of use, and small learning curve are near the top of the
list of necessities, but comprehensive, quality, help documentation is at
the top of the list.

Take care and be good to yourself!