Re: Word Graphics: 24 bit or 8 bit

Subject: Re: Word Graphics: 24 bit or 8 bit
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:39:34 -0700

Steve Hudson wrote:

32 bit color is 24 bit color with an additional 8 bits for alpha channel
(transparency/opacity).

Right - got it in one.

For what it's worth, many graphics experts get very heated about the term "32 bit color," arguing that it's a misleading term that deceives users. At a Linux development company, we had a very heated discussion between those who thought that the term should be used so that nobody would think that the company's Linux OS was inferior to anything else on the market and the graphics experts who announced that they wouldn't be party to such a deception. Finally, I suggested a compromise in which the install program had both a button for 24 bit color and an explanatory note explaining why the term "32 bit color" wasn't used.

Crazy, but decision-making by concensus is sometimes like that. You don't even want to hear about the discussions about shipping with Mozilla instead of the non-free Netscape, or about using ash instead of bash as a command shell - believe me, you really don't.

.hlp only supports 256 color palettes...

What, still? I haven't had to use the format for a number of years, but I just assumed that it would have been improved.

"A thousand eyes, a thousand ears,
He feeds us all, he feeds our fears,
Don't stir in your sleep tonight, my dears,
We're all working for Pharoah"
-Richard Thompson, "Pharoah"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: