RE: Question for Contract Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Question for Contract Tech Writers
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:49:21 +0200

I'm already starting to see some conflicting responses on this one,
and I guess I'll add to the fray.

Now, before I start, I should mention that i'm working in Italy
which has a totally different corporate culture than the US (read: they HATE
to let people go, even if they aren't employees) so that should be factored
in.

I am working without any real contract, just a work order. We
started on a project basis and then agree after a few months that it would
be in both of our interest if he could promise me a steady number of hours a
week in exchange for a slightly lower rate. Since then, we've just agreed
on a lump sum of hours for a period (usually 3 months) and I can bill 20% up
front, 40% half way through and 40% at the end.

We've been doing this for over a year and being able to reneg. every
3 months is really convenient for both of us. But, of tantamount importance
is the fact that I completely trust him and I hope he trusts me. I know that
he has budgeted me in, and that if something were to happen he would give me
a fair amount of notice. I couldn't ask for a better set up, even though I
have no real "security". BUT, having been witness to and recipient of major
corporate layoffs in the past, I also recognize that a "contract" means jack
and employment means little more. I've learned never to all my eggs in one
basket (but I digress).

What i'm getting at, is that flexibility is not necessarily a bad
thing as long as the parties involved want a real long term working
relationship, not a "get what I can and the rest be damned" one. I hope this
makes sense (I always get this super paranoid ineloquent feeling when i
write to the list of writers).

Good luck!
Jennifer