RE: Question for Contract Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Question for Contract Tech Writers
From: "Tommy Green" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:31:09 -0500

-- Original Message --

> I'm already starting to see some conflicting responses on this one,
>and I guess I'll add to the fray.
>
> Now, before I start, I should mention that i'm working in Italy
>which has a totally different corporate culture than the US (read: they
>HATE
>to let people go, even if they aren't employees) so that should be factored
>in.
>
> I am working without any real contract, just a work order.

Jennifer,

First of all, I envy you for working in Italy. I would love to go back there.
I lived in Sardinia for four years and speak the language. I know how the
people and there are none better.

Second, the work order you use seems very amiable for both of you. I wish
they would adopt that here. I am working right now for the first time as
"contract help" and, so far, I don't like it. There is so much uncertainty
(of course, there is uncertainty everywhere)in how long we will be here
and when I should be looking for another job. I miss the ability to take
a day off and still get paid.

Some contract writers are able to hustle several projects at once or they
have multiple contacts they can call when they need work. Maybe that would
be ideal but I live in a rural area and any "hustling" I do has to be one
hour away.

To sum up, in my limited contract experience, I would say what is most needed
is a clearcut contract stating specifically what is expected of you and
what the company is prepared and willing to offer you in the future. I haven't
seen much of that. Speaking of contacts, how hard is it to find work in
Italy? (please respond to the list or to tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com -dot- My automatic
response goes to my home addy...I'm supposed to be working).

Visit iWon.com - the Internet's largest guaranteed cash giveaway! Click
here now for your "Thank You" gift:
http://www.iwon.com/giftcenter/0,2612,,00.html?t_id=20157