RE: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors)

Subject: RE: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors)
From: kristeneberlein -at- mindspring -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:55:21 -0400

OK, I can't resist chiming in on this thread.

Yes, often one simply has to use a tool simply because it is what's designated as the company standard.

But often one has a chance to influence what tools are selected.

As both a technical writer *and* a web developer, my opinion is that many of the web-authoring tools produce truly horrid code. It doesn't valid, is excessively long (and thus painfully slow to load), and the javascript is truly godawful and about impossible to edit. In addition, many of the packages cope poorly with CSS and DHTML.

Given my druthers, I'd rather develop in HomeSite or BB Edit or even Visual InterDev. If a GUI is required, I think Dreamweaver generates the cleanest code of all the commercial packages.

Definitely opiniated about this . . .

K.