RE: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors)

Subject: RE: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors)
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:34:50 -0500

I've had to clean up some WYSIWYG content after a writer couldn't use the
standard WYSIWYG editor. Have all the theoretical discussions you want, but
taking an hour to do something that should have taken two minutes was
enough. And, I left it dirty. I only changed what absolutely had to be
changed. The gunk made reading the content next to impossible. And, no, I'm
not a Notepad nut. If I could have terminated someone, someone would have
lost their job that day, no discussion.

Every time I changed that file, I incurred the production penalties. They
will accrue forever or until someone recreates the content from scratch,
because someone had to be different.

No, sorry, we can't each use our favorite tools. And, if it comes down to
it, I won't hire anyone if they have a different favorite tool than the one
I favor. You got the job, so do the job, the way the employer wants it done.

But, I'm the same way about the verb form in topic headings. If you can't
follow the standards, I don't want to get stuck cleaning up after you. The
standards have reasons behind them. They are decisions. And, unless some
constraints get loosened, the decisions are going to stand. If you don't
understand the reasons, ask for clarity. But, don't ask for forgiveness. A
single incident can cause hours and hours of rework. I don't have time for
rework.

And, don't mention the unauthorized single sourcing.

David Locke