Re: Web works? (Was: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors))

Subject: Re: Web works? (Was: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors))
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 05:50:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com> wrote:
> Simon North wrote (brutally extracted from context):
>
> the web works? my turn for a counter challenge ...
> c'mon, anything that relies on such a puerile,
> braindead mechanism as physically embedding hyperlink
> source points and target in documents is so patently
> worthless that any attempt to call it 'working' is frankly
> laughable.
> --------------------------------
> My Rant:
[SNIP]
> If HTML had not been
> mindlessly simple, the World Wide Web would still be a haven
> for a limited number of geeks and not the lovely graveyard
> of high-tech dotcoms that it is today.
> End Rant
>
> Thank you for listening,
> Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

Jim, in case you haven't noticed, there are still a lot of "old timers" who
decry the democratization of the Web. It was their private domain for so
long--limited access (only government, certain areas of academia, and a few
specialized business organizations), specialized tools needed (it wasn't that
long ago that a browser--the old Mosaic--WAS a specialized tool), and a certain
clubby mindset (remember when having an AOL email address automatically got you
shunned on newsgroups?)--that they have never gotten over losing their
exclusivity on their toy.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what awful, terrible code (outside of
a couple of meta tags) the current crop of WYSIWYG editors impart to documents.
Part of what my earlier comments about using FrontPage 2000 were trying to say
is that without any particular effort, I can produce code that can be read by
current browsers, regardless of what they are. So far, all we seem to be
hearing are prejudices and snobbery, which I suppose is yet another form of prejudice.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/
Page Last Updated 07/15/01

http://im.yahoo.com