RE: Web works? (Was: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors))

Subject: RE: Web works? (Was: Diverse Tools (was HTML editors))
From: "Dan Hall" <dhall -at- san-carlos -dot- rms -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:05:15 -0500

Tom writes:

"I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what
awful, terrible code (outside of a couple of meta
tags) the current crop of WYSIWYG editors impart
to documents."

Ok Tom, I'll bite.

Here's an instance - from last week.

A page created using FrontPage contained 62 empty
tags, 872 comments, and 37 redundant font tags. I'm
not talking about a huge scroller, either. This is
a page with about 60 lines of text, title and nav
bars, and some number of tables and hyperlinks. We
use three different font "styles" for body text,
headings and subheads.

872 comments? For the majority of users who are
currently using dial-up, the removal of 872 comments,
with an average length of 24 characters, is a real
time-saver.

Another example - unordered lists. FP provides
bullets for unordered lists, and supports nested
ul's. The "source" window (the biggest joke since
master documents in Word) shows ul tags. But the
actual HTML is a table with gifs for the bullets.

FrontPage is broken. Like Word. Can I use it? Yep.
Do I? When required. Do I defend the stupidity
behind its design? Nope. Neither should anyone
else (IMO).

Dan

Dan Hall
Sr. Technical Writer
SchlumbergerSema GTSRN

All the opinions, errors, sarcasm, and wit (if any) expressed in this
e-mail are solely mine. SchlumbergerSema takes neither credit nor blame