Re: Archimedes Socrates, ace tech writer, wins another one

Subject: Re: Archimedes Socrates, ace tech writer, wins another one
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:23:46 -0500

Jane, I had to laugh. My mother - at age 79! - decided she HAD to get a computer
and get e-mail "just like everyone else." Yours truly had the task of finding
her one.

Then she decided she had to get DSL (her brother calls her nearly every night
and gets upset and starts worrying if her line is busy for more than a minute or
so. He has to take care of Big Sister, you know....).

Fortunately, I talked her out of that one. It was total overkill and she didn't
need the expense. For a third of the cost, she could get a separate phone line
JUST for the computer. Besides, I didn't want to go through the hassle of
installing the blasted thing! Setting up the dial-up for the ISP takes seconds
and not the hour or so to physically install a DSL modem and get the thing
configured.

Jo Byrd