RE: Single Sores

Subject: RE: Single Sores
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:30:53 -0400

A quick couple of thoughts:

1) "Single Sores" . . . I love the wit! LOL!

2) The KISS principle can certainly be applied to single-sourcing. As an
example, I am always documenting moving targets. One application I
documented in April has since been released four additional times each with
new features and bug fixes. Single-sourcing has permitted the documentation
to keep pace with this just-in-time software manufacturing ;?), such that I
can update the user guide and online help in one place and speed it to
production for release with the new and improved software.

Of course, the best way to do all of this is to make sure you release
software right the first time . . . but, I suspect like many software
companies out there, we are poorly structured but getting better. Anyway,
single-sourcing addresses this shortcoming of development in a very
efficient way . . ..

Cheers,

Sean<Br>
sean -at- quodata -dot- com