Document Types

Subject: Document Types
From: Ellen Vanrenen <ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:56:26 -0600

Hello,

We have the responsibiliy of creating a document library for a fairly new
techwriting department. We are trying to name standard document types,
rather than the hybrids some of us have worked on. I have a twofold
division of questions:

1. What is a standard name for a document you distribute between major
release and that contains service patch intructions, such as changes to
installation notes?
2. Here is our list of documents. Does anyone know a site where I can find
examples and definintions of each? Can anyone add to the list (we do not do
any of the programmers' design docs or the like):

* user guides
* reference guides
* quick reference guides
* application notes
* technical reference manuals
* technical specifications
* white papers
* installation guides
* programmers' guides
* release notes
* policies and procedures
* installation and operation guides for hardware
* disaster and recovery

I know this request seems naive to many of you more-seasoned pros, but we
could use the help.

Thanks.

Ellen Vanrenen
Technical Writer
Clear Technology, Inc.
303-583-4170 (direct line)
ellen -dot- vanrenen -at- clear-technology -dot- com

WARNING - THIS E-MAIL TRANSMISSION IS CONFIDENTIAL. This e-mail transmission
(including any accompanying attachments) contains confidential information
which is intended for the named addressee only. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution
or reproduction of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error please contact me immediately. Thank you.