Cross-references with numbered headings

Subject: Cross-references with numbered headings
From: "Keith Soltys" <keith -at- soltys -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:32:04 -0400

I've just ran into an issue that is tangential to the current discussion on
numbered headings, namely cross references.

I'm currently editing a moderately large (150 pages) specification document
that uses numbered headings. There are a fair number of cross references of
the form 'for more information, refer to section 3.1.1, "Watching Out for
Stobor" on page 34.' Given that I am stuck (for the moment, anyway) with
the mumbered headings, do you think I should simplify this by just refering
to the section and heading title without the page number? The section title
should give the reader enough information to find the heading quickly in the
doucment - most of the sections are fairly short.

Complicating factors are that I am writing in Word, which means that with
the current style I have to insert three different things to make a cross
reference. This is a bother for me and since the document will be used as a
template for future specifications, I really want to simplify it for the
poor developers who will be using it.

Any thoughts?

And no, FrameMaker is not an option (sigh).

PS - anybody got a macro that will insert the cross reference to a heading
and page number in one step?

Best
Keith

--