Corrupt word doc fix?

Subject: Corrupt word doc fix?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:47:53 -0400

Carol Chung reports: <<I'm getting a message "this document may be corrupt"
when I try to open a particular Word document. I tried the suggestion of
pasting the contents into a new file but keep getting the corrupt message.
I've run a virus-scan but found nothing in that area.>>

First off, make sure you don't copy the final paragraph marker when you copy
and paste. File corruption often lies concealed in that unlikely place.
Second, there are more possible causes of corruption than you can possibly
imagine; fortunately, Microsoft reluctantly admitted this. You can find
their suggestions at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q87/8/56.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=GN

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein