Re: Techniques for Estimating Time

Subject: Re: Techniques for Estimating Time
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:07:32 -0700

Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

HA! If only this step worked the way we'd like it to. <sigh>
It's been my experience that nobody who isn't a writer knows
anything about how to look at an outline. They all nod their
heads and say it looks fine. Later, when you remind them that
they approved the outline, they look at you as if you'd just
grown a third eye in the middle of your forehead.

Definitely. That's why, when giving an estimate or writing a letter of agreement, I always mention the assumptions on which the schedule is based, then stress - repeatedly - that everything in the schedule is dependent on the assumptions remaining the same.

Then, when you're given that look, you can triumphantly produce the document to show that you're doing your best to keep up your end of the agreement. Clients and developers don't like to be reminded of their responsibilities for missed deadlines, but there's not much they can do except mutter.

"Waiting for the ferry, tickets in their hand
Good people that were never out of sight of land
Waiting for the ferry, tickets in their hand
Good people that you knew would never understand."
-OysterBand, "Not Like Jordan"

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: