RE: Unusual resumes

Subject: RE: Unusual resumes
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:24:17 -0400

Why not take the novel approach of actually managing the head hunter?

When I work with an agency, I stipulate several conditions, among them:

1. NEVER send my resume to anyone without my approval
2. NEVER send my resume out unless I first see what you are sending

I have had most agencies cover up my address and contact information and
send out a scanned copy of what I sent them (OK in my book). I have caught
several agencies doing what has been described here (definitely NOT OK in my
book). I have always asked them to send the original resume, and they have
done so upon my request.

That said, when I do go on an interview, I ask to see the resume they
received from the agency, and I ALWAYS carry copies of my resume the way I
want them to see it. If what they got from the agency isn't what I expected,
I give the reviewer(s) a copy of my version.

I wonder what would happen if someone got a job, and then was fired because
they didn't have the Master's degree the altered resume said they had. (I
know at least one instance of someone being fired on the spot after a
falsehood on a resume was verified.) If that happened to me, and if it was
the result of an agency-made alteration, I think I would pursue things in
court.

My 2¢,

John

John Garison