RE: Advice on What's This? Help Composer

Subject: RE: Advice on What's This? Help Composer
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:45:23 -0700

Thompson, Christine A. (GSP) wrote:

| I am embarking on the creation of What's This? field level help for a
| software program that already has WinHelp 4 created by RoboHelp. I have
| RoboHelp 9.2. After experimenting with a small program, I have been
| successful linking the What's This Help project to map ID's provided by my
| programmer. The programmer and I determined that WTH Composer rewrites the
| resource.HH file (with all the appropriate map IDs) every time I open WTH,
| make a change, or save as RTF. This is what causes the map ID to
| start again
| at 10000. I overcame this problem by making a copy of the resource.HH file
| under a new name and making all my map ID edits in that file.
| This way, WTH
| Composer cannot overwrite it. Then, right before I compile, I rename this
| file as the original resource.HH file name and viola! everyone is happy.
| This is definitely a work around. Does anyone have extensive experience
| creating field level context sensitive help using RoboHelp or any
| other tool
| and can offer some advice as to the best way to approach this task?

When using the What's This Help Composer, you typically use the map IDs it
generates rather than using map IDs supplied by a programmer. While it's a
different model, it actually makes everyone's like easier. The WTHC makes it
unnecessary for the programmer (or the Help author) to worry about or
maintain map IDs.

HTH,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHelp MVP & Certified RoboHelp Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Member, Sun's JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Member, eHelp's RoboHelp Community Advisory Board
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users