Ethical question about resumes?

Subject: Ethical question about resumes?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:42:29 -0400

Stephanie Pierre wonders: <<Is it ethical to create resumes that show I live
in different parts of the country?>>

Certainly--if you actually have domiciles in two different places. If not,
you're intentionally deceiving someone, and that's unethical. Whatever your
take on morals, it's also not too bright; if an interviewer asks you how
like the area where you live and how you'll get to work, and figures out
you're lying (because you can't answer) or uncommunicative (because you
don't seem willing to expand on your answers), what are the odds they'll
hire you?

<<I'm getting no response locally or nationally, but there are a lot more
jobs nationally than there are locally, so I am thinking that perhaps if I
appeared to be local, I might get some responses.>>

That's certainly the case; I spent many years trying to move from northern
Ontario back to Montreal so I could be closer to my family, and I know I
lost at least two jobs because the employers couldn't afford to move me. The
ethical solution to this is to include a note in your cover letter that
you'd like to move to the employer's city, and given that you'll be leaving
your old job, you obviously want to find a new job closer to home. This is
perfectly ethical because if you're applying for a job in a particular city,
you'd be nuts to do so if you really don't want to live there. Moreover, if
you concentrate your search on cities where you really want to live, you're
not even shading the truth.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"Do I contradict myself?/ Very well, then I contradict myself,/ I am large,
I contain multitudes." -- Walt Whitman

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/