RE: Online documentation saves trees? Not!

Subject: RE: Online documentation saves trees? Not!
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:08:20 -0700

> > It's of course in reality *less* paper, not no paper. Think if
> everyone mailed in a paper form to order a book from Amazon...

Paperless office? HA! Less paper, even? Double-HA!

I can remember talking the "paperless office" talk in 1983, then
changing the margins and printing out the report just one more time!
;-)

Ordering from Amazon? Show of hands, how many print out the order
confirmation page??? I know I do!

'puters have allowed us to be perfectionists in print. Back when
the IBM Selectric was king, once you started typing, the margins
were set in stone. You typed it once and put up with any mistakes
in judgement you made. Forgot a word? There were all kinds of
tricks you could perform to squeeze it in; but you never retyped
a whole report. _M a y b e_ a single page if you were desperate,
but a whole report? Never!

Online docs? Here's a trick I've noticed. Print out a chapter of
the PDF file, read it, do what you have to do. The paper goes in
the recycling bin or gets left in the conference room or gets left
at home or on the commuter train. Next month? Print out the same
chapter and the process starts all over again.

Paperless? Only because we've used it all!

;-)

-swg

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/