RE: Converting Frame to Word

Subject: RE: Converting Frame to Word
From: "Beilby, Margaret" <MBeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:00:37 -0700

<<The only possibility I see
would be to deliver an RTF or HTML file. My question to all of you is, is
this a dumb idea? I'm afraid this might create more problems than it's
worth. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?>>

At my company we work both ways. We deliver some documentation to our
clients in Frame, some in Word, and some in both. Most of my source
documentation is in Word files. I simply convert them to Word RTF and import
them to Frame.

My advice to you would be to deliver your Word docs as RTF files. It's a
simple process to save a Word file as RTF and a relatively painless process
to import the RTF file into Frame. Frame has no difficulty handling Word
formatting. To make it easier for your client, I would ask them to provide
you with a FrameMaker template (in Word RTF format). That will make it
easier for you to make sure your Word styles match the Frame paragraph
formats.

It is very important that you deliver the originals of the graphics files to
your client since Frame handles graphics differently from Word. I prefer
.TIF or .EPS formats (because they convert to PDFs better) but your client
may want the graphics in another format. Actually, we ask our anyone who
provides us with graphics to provide them in their native formats
(Illustrator [.ai], Photoshop [.psd], Visio [.vsd]) as well as .TIF, .EPS,
.JPG, and .GIF formats).

I hope this helps.

Margaret
mbeilby -at- ebuilt -dot- com