RE: Are we missed?

Subject: RE: Are we missed?
From: "Jason Deal" <jason -at- mitratech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:06:41 -0700

I'm new at a company, the third techwriter they hired. The company is
fourteen years old, and hired its first writer 3 years ago. She has learned
a lot and is a damn good writer now(she's my boss), but she did not have any
writing experience, technical or otherwise, and no guidance until another
writer came in this March. Most of the employees here speak English as a
second language, and can't write to save their lives.
This means that for 13 years this company grew and grew profitable with
either no documentation or extremely substandard documentation, and few of
our clients seemed to mind. We got a new CTO in February, and he recognized
that good documentation is necessary for a good product and hope of
expanding the company. However, we've been relatively untouched by the lean
times; if we started feeling it, I bet the techwriters would be the first to
go, and the company would go back to the way it was for 13 successful years.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/