RE: Doxygen

Subject: RE: Doxygen
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:30:11 -0600

Hi Steve,

I use it for C/C++ and IVE (internal Pascal-like language) and like it.
It does a great job of sniffing the code and putting together summaries
of what you find.

It is useful even if you don't have total buy-off from development to
get them to change their code comment style. You get something useful
even without code comments.

I use the input filter feature to have it run Perl scripts. This is how
I change the @bug command to our @lim command, so the end result doesn't
say "Bugs and Limitations" but "Limitations and Caveats" instead. I also
use input filters to turn quasi Pascal-like code into something that
looks like C so that Doxygen knows how to handle it.

I post-process it with Perl scripts to enhance navigation, index, etc.
when used as part of a bigger system.

My complaints (minor in nature compared to the big picture):

- The HTML isn't as clean as I would like. Specifically, some tags like
<li> are left open. Also, list items have their carriage returns in the
middle of a tag (such as "<a \n href=...>") rather than logically after
a (missing) </li> tag. It's an annoyance, because it makes it more
difficult for homegrown tools to find things that it might want to pull
out or enhance.

- To create PDFs, you have to generate LaTEX files, print to postscript,
and then convert to PDF. This presents two problems. (1) It's more
difficult to customize the layout unless you know LaTEX (which I don't).
(2) If you're using TAG files to simplify the build processes in the
HTML system, your PDF files will be incomplete because it doesn't find
those references.

Glenn Maxey
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
Tel. +1 303.223.5164
Fax. +1 303.223.5275
glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/