Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:08:28 -0700

Tracy Boyington wrote:

That's why I said I would mention it if it were related to the job...it might be a way of getting your foot in the door.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that many employers take something listed as a hobby much less seriously than any paid work. So, while I list freelance work for which I got paid under "Other," I no longer hobbies, however relevant.

My practice has changed greatly, of course, from when I was first breaking into the field. Then I used everything remotely relevant to help me look more employable (Honest, the paper route I had when I was 12 taught me managerial skills... well, not quite, but nearly). Now, I'm generally less desperate.

"I work for the pleasure of stopping,
I stop for the pleasure of beer."
-The Mollys, "The Lang Town"

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/