RE: The mighty T-Letter

Subject: RE: The mighty T-Letter
From: "Kane, Beth" <Beth -dot- Kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:17:41 -0500

I sent a T-letter via e-mail, and it helped win me my current job.

I just created a table in Word, saved it as RTF, sent it as an attachment,
and they loved it. Formatting was preserved. Most people can handle RTF. I
wouldn't send a company anything in plain text unless they insisted on it.

My company did insist on plain text for sending the resume; so I carefully
reformatted it in Notepad, watching the line widths, and I added
cover-letter text at the beginning. Then I copied all, and pasted it into
their online app form.

I sent the T-letter later, after I found out who would be interviewing me
and got his e-mail address. (Would've sent it at the same time if I could
have.)

Beth Kane
Tech writer, NCS Learn
beth -dot- kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com

---orig. mesg---
...how would you suggest formatting the information from a typical t-letter
for
an application sent by email? I have not sent a job application by "snail
mail" since 1997, and don't even have that option for any of the jobs I am
currently applying for.

Assume that you must use plain-text email, because you don't know that the
recipient's email client can handle HTML email. ...

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/