Layoff logistics and etiquette

Subject: Layoff logistics and etiquette
From: "jwelander123" <jwelander123 -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:26:59 -0600

I got laid off 2 months ago. We had a round of lay-offs in early August
(about 10 people) and these were "performance-based." They (managers + CTO)
called people in one by one and told the person the news. They escorted
everyone out. Needless to say, those of us who were left were shocked and
afraid for awhile.

We started getting back to business, after being reassured that our jobs
were secure, and then one Friday (3 weeks later) they (CTO and CEO) called
all the "about to be laid-off people" into the board room and did a mass
lay-off. Unfortunately, I was working from home that day, so I wasn't a
part of it. Instead, the CTO sent me an email asking me to call him. I
did, and he told me over the phone. I went up to work right away to turn in
my laptop, etc. It was awful. There was about 30 of us who got laid off,
and by the time I got to work, everyone was gone. Nothing but empty cubes
and open drawers.

The company had a BBQ immediately afterward to "raise morale." I think it
was already shot after the 2 rounds of layoffs.