Re: collecting unemployment

Subject: Re: collecting unemployment
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:17:28 -0500

Wish it were a "right!" Since I've been working on a 1099 the past several years, I'm not eligible for unemployment benefits, and that stipend you get would sure come in handy right now when I'm out doing the virtual pavement pounding thing and there's NOTHING on the horizon!

Jo Byrd

Leatta Welch wrote:

Unemployment is a *right*?!?!?!?!

I think not. *Rights* are "the pursuit of happiness" and other such *rights*
that are mentioned in the U.S. Constitution and in the U.S. Bill of Rights.

Please don't misunderstand. I, too, am unemployed and, after my severance pay runs out, will also apply for unemployment.

But unemployment is *not* a right!

I may get flamed for this, but I believe that we Americans would be wise to stand up for -- and take responsibility for -- our *rights* and be grateful for legal privileges, such as driving, unemployement, education (and so forth). . . and I believe that we should learn the difference!

October 3 and get a substantial discount! Program information, online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/