RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:48:03 +0100

Lurker writer wrote: >"playing in a band that tours on the
>weekends, extreme skydiving, and attending Greenpeace rallies" probably
>wouldn't play in your favor as it causes one to wonder where your true
>interests lie (OK, most of do what we love after 5pm and on the
weekends...)

Yeah, but this is one of the great unspoken truths - certainly never
admitted at interviews. (At least, not by people who want to get the job.)
For every Bruce Byfield, doing what he loves and getting paid for it,
there's got to be ten writers who like their work and do other things for
fun - and for each of them there are probably ten more who think as little
as possible about their work even when they're doing it (says the cynic).

I once didn't get a job as a minimum-wage cleaner because I made the mistake
of including all my O-grade results on the application form. "You probably
wouldn't want to stay with us for very long," said the interviewer, clearly
looking for someone who wanted to spend the rest of her life pushing a mop
about - or who could convince them at the interview that this what their
life's ambition.

Jane Carnall
"Do, or go to. There is no try," said Yoda, refusing Luke's best java.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/