RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)

Subject: RE: Hobbies on a résumé (WAS: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question)
From: "John David Hickey" <jdhickey -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:05:27 -0700

Greetings!

> >wouldn't play in your favor as it causes one to wonder where your true
> >interests lie (OK, most of do what we love after 5pm and on the
> weekends...)

My Hobbies section used to be longer, but I had to whittle it down to keep
my CV on two pages. I think mentionning hobbies shows that you are a
balanced person with some depth to your character. If the company hires you,
they'll have to work with you for eight hours a day, five days a week.
During that time, if you have nothing interesting to say except work-related
stuff, it won't add much to the group dynamic.

In my Hobbies section, I mention some very specific things which I hope will
reveal a bit about my character. I say that I'm into the theatre (creative),
I'm a director (leadership) and I'm an actor (responsibility, teamwork). I
also mention that I'm a moderator for an elist for Montreal-based Technical
writers (this shows leadership and dedication to my field of work).

I think the Hobbies section is important. Your CV tells people WHAT you can
do, but the Hobbies section reveals WHO you are, which can give an idea to
how well you do what you do.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave

This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from the context.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/